Open/Close Toolbox
This work is free of known copyright restrictions
Format: Photograph
Linked To
Places
Map
no geotags or polygons yet
Recollections
AddBy: Hazel Paton15th Jul 2026 11:54AMThis is a photograph of John Paton Jnr, son of John Paton Snr (1820-1809) and Harriett Hawkins (1824-1917). This John Paton was born at 8 Claremont Place, Chatham, Kent, England on 20 September 1843 and came with his parents to Australia on the "Euphrates", arriving on 5 August 1855.
This John Paton was a pioneer of the Maitland and Singleton areas, having a residence at Rouse Street, East Maitland. He married Charlotte Williams (1843-1910) at St John's Church of England on 16 July 1867 and they had six children.
John built the Pavilion of Singleton Showground and other buildings in the area. The impressive Octagonal House at Tenth Avenue, South Singleton, was built and owned by the Paton family, maybe between 1860 and 1880; it has unfortunately been demolished.
John jnr owned a steam sawmill at Broke in the Hunter Valley and recent findings indicate that the ruins know as "McNamara Dairy ruins" on Monkey Place Creek at Broke may, in fact, be the ruins of the Paton house "Millview". This suggestion is made because the bricks used in the construction are the same as those made at the sawmill and the fact that a son, Frederick William Fordwich Paton was born at Millview or Mill View. This child's grave is in the nearby Broke Cemetery.
John Paton Jnr died at Woolaware Private Hospital, Cronulla on 4 June 1933.
This John Paton was a pioneer of the Maitland and Singleton areas, having a residence at Rouse Street, East Maitland. He married Charlotte Williams (1843-1910) at St John's Church of England on 16 July 1867 and they had six children.
John built the Pavilion of Singleton Showground and other buildings in the area. The impressive Octagonal House at Tenth Avenue, South Singleton, was built and owned by the Paton family, maybe between 1860 and 1880; it has unfortunately been demolished.
John jnr owned a steam sawmill at Broke in the Hunter Valley and recent findings indicate that the ruins know as "McNamara Dairy ruins" on Monkey Place Creek at Broke may, in fact, be the ruins of the Paton house "Millview". This suggestion is made because the bricks used in the construction are the same as those made at the sawmill and the fact that a son, Frederick William Fordwich Paton was born at Millview or Mill View. This child's grave is in the nearby Broke Cemetery.
John Paton Jnr died at Woolaware Private Hospital, Cronulla on 4 June 1933.
Copyright
This work is free of known copyright restrictionsTo the best of our knowledge, this work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission. The Library appreciates acknowledgement as the source of the work in the format: Courtesy of the Local Studies Collection, Sutherland Shire Libraries.
While the images and documents in this work have have been identified as being in the Public Domain, the metadata that describes the work is not. Sutherland Shire Libraries expressly prohibit the use of these works along with their metadata to compile similar or competing services.
While the images and documents in this work have have been identified as being in the Public Domain, the metadata that describes the work is not. Sutherland Shire Libraries expressly prohibit the use of these works along with their metadata to compile similar or competing services.
Click on the image to add
a tag or press ESC to cancel
a tag or press ESC to cancel
loading google map....
John Paton of Miranda, ca. 1880-1900 (between 1880 and 1900). Local History - Sutherland Shire Libraries, accessed 27/08/2026, https://localhistory.sutherlandshire.nsw.gov.au/nodes/view/4380




