no stories yet
HistoryWhen Surveyor Robert Dixon arrived in the Cronulla area in 1827 he recorded the expansive beach as Cronulla. The spelling Kurranulla has also been used. The majority of the land which is now the norther part of the suburb was a grant of land made to John Connell in 1842. Land also included the peninsula which had been reserved by the Crown for defence purposes in 1861. It was first opened for sale in 1899. It was originally known as the Village of Gunnamatta. Cronulla was at first a popular site for fishing and walking. Surf bathing introduced in the early 1900s brought many more people to the area as visitors and later as residents. In 1939 a railway link was made from Sutherland to Cronulla. The main shopping street was closed in 1988 to create the Cronulla mall.
North Cronulla Beach, looking towards Cronulla Beach and headland, buildings in the background, 4 May 1929
Water frontages Cronulla Saltaire Estate : auction sale on the ground at 3 p.m. Saturday 6th April 1918
Port Hacking : Village of Gunnamatta, Parish of Sutherland, County of Cumberland : plan of suburban portions, nos 227 to 235 & 239 to 256, 285 & 286.
Kurranulla Estate Cronulla : splendid position, stone's throw from tram : auction sale on the ground, Saturday 16th March 1912
Hill Top Estate, Cronulla : East Miranda : auction sale on the ground : continuation sale on the ground, Saturday, 16th November 1912, at 3 p.m.
Cronulla. Local History - Sutherland Shire Libraries, accessed 02/06/2023, https://localhistory.sutherlandshire.nsw.gov.au/nodes/view/6075