no stories yet
HistoryThe area which became known as Kirrawee was from the 1860s part of the holdings of Sutherland Shire pioneer Thomas Holt. About 1910 the Blade family owned a small dairy and also operated the first post office which may explain why the suburb was at one time known as Bladesville. In 1911 a tramway opened which provided access to the area. In the early 1910s a brickworks opened due to the good source of brick making clay available and the nearby tram line. In 1939 when the Sutherland to Cronulla railway was opened in 1939 the railway station opened and the area became known as Kirrawee.
Joe Gilligan's store adjoining his parents' home Princes Highway, Kirrawee, near Oak Road, ca. 19230-1940
George Gilmore's house in Kirrawee, bounded by Acacia Road, Waratah Street and Gilmore Avenue, ca. 1900-1920
Kirrawee. Local History - Sutherland Shire Libraries, accessed 30/11/2023, https://localhistory.sutherlandshire.nsw.gov.au/nodes/view/6085