no stories yet
HistoryThere is some debate as to the reason for and selection of the name Taren Point for this suburb. In the early days it has been referred to both Commons Point and Taren Point. It shares one of its boundaries with the Georges River and is located at the northern end of the Shire. It was originally part of a 1000 acres land grant taken up by John Connell in 1816. After his death and various transfers of the land it was bought by Sutherland Shire pioneer Thomas Holt in the 1860s. The land that is now Taren Point was retained by the Holt family even though most of the estate was leased to the Holt Sutherland Estate Land Company for sale. The population of the area in the early 1900s was few and it was enjoyed by fishermen, oystermen and some small scale farmers. Subdivision of land began in 1911 with agents calling the area a perfect marine suburb and access was made via a fleet of ferries. It was not long before a road was being established from the ferry to the main roads of the Shire. Public access however was limited until a vehicular punt was established in 1916. A couple of years later in 1918 the Taren Point Land Company offered an estate for sale. In 1965 a bridge named for Captain James Cook was opened and replaced the punt.
The Taren Point Estate, opposite Sans Souci : auction sale on the ground Sat. 24th. January 1914 at 3 p.m.
Taren Point Estate No. 3, opposite Sans Souci : auction sale on the ground, Saturday 8th April 1916 at 3 p.m.
SubjectsTaren Point (N.S.W.)
Taren Point. Local History - Sutherland Shire Libraries, accessed 22/02/2024, https://localhistory.sutherlandshire.nsw.gov.au/nodes/view/6095