Yowie Bay
Main
HistoryAccording to a map drawn by surveyor Robert Dixon in 1827 the bay which is part of Port Hacking was known as Ewey Bay. The name was later changed to Yowie Bay and it is from this name that the suburb is now known. It is not known, however, why the name Ewey was ever used. The land was acquired by Thomas Holt who established his Sutherland Estate in the 1860s. It included most of what is currently known as the Sutherland Shire. Holt later leased most of his estate to the Holt Sutherland Estate Land Company who set about creating estates for residential settlement. In 1889 the company created the village of Weeroona. It became popular for holiday homes. The beautiful sandstone property Cliffhaven was constructed in about 1932. Yowie Bay Hotel was established in the early 1900s on the shore of the bay. After it closed it was used in 1919 as a hospital to care for those suffering as the result of the Influenza epidemic after World War One. The head of Yowie Bay was also the site of Matson's Boatshed. The Matson family built boats as well as operating a boat hiring service. They were a well known family in the area, best known for the pleasure grounds they established in addition to the boat business. The land they held was converted into a planned garden resort housing a hall, summer houses, see-saws, razzle-dazzles was well as accommodation for fishermen. The Matson's also offered land for sale known as the Matson City Estate. This was thought to be a good response to the proposed influx of tourist and potential settlers after the tram line was established in 1911 from Sutherland to Cronulla. When the line closed in 1931 it was not long before motor buses took over and the railway line between Sutherland to Cronulla was opened in 1939. After the decline in popularity of pleasure grounds the area became the site of the E.G. Waterhouse National Camellia Garden, which opened in 1970.
Map
Oral History
Person
Yowie Bay. Local History - Sutherland Shire Libraries, accessed 19/09/2024, https://localhistory.sutherlandshire.nsw.gov.au/nodes/view/6099